July 25 Afternoon - Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

This was a new location for me, one I'd read about in a Birds of Calgary book bought many years ago. From Frank Lake, we drove west on Highway 23, and then north on 24. If you take 24 south you end up in Vulcan, which has an impressive Star Trek attraction.

We stopped at the Carseland General store and bought a hot dog and fries for lunch. The Provincial park is bi-sected by the Bow river, we headed for the camp-ground on the south side. There was a day use parking area right by the river with a trail alongside. It was a beautiful sunny day.


Bow River at Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

As soon as we got out of the car, I could hear a Western Wood-pewee calling. I located it but it was not in a good spot for a photo. I'd be luckier a bit later.

The first bird I saw was a Double-crested Cormorant, a bird I normally associate with salt water. I think this is probably my first ever in Alberta.


Double-crested Cormorant - Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

I started out on the trail by the river and a small bird immediately caught my eye close by. It looked like a flycatcher of some sort. It did not mind my presence too much and I was able to take a number of shots from close range. I used my birding app on my phone and confirmed that it was a Least Flycatcher.


Least Flycatcher - Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

This Flycatcher is identified by its bold eye-ring, the short projection of the primary wing feathers, and its habit of foraging low in brushy areas and thickets.

I caught this shot as it flew from one perch to another.


Least Flycatcher - Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

Not far down the path I heard the Pewee calling again and located it in a nearby tree. Unlike the Least Flycatcher, it was fairly high up. This flycatcher is quite different from the Least and our familiar Willow Flycatcher.

Western Wood-pewee Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

Something overhead caught my attention, a flock of American White Pelicans. I had seen one at a great distance at Frank Lake, but I count this as my first real sighting of the year.

American White Pelican Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

This was turning into one of those rare magical excursions where birds are popping out all over the place. The next bird I saw was a common one, but there was something unusual in this sighting as well. First off is a photo of a lone Cedar Waxwing.

Cedar Waxwing Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

I then noticed another bird in the same area and it seemed to be looking at the Waxwing. I believe it was a young Brown Cowbird and that the Waxwing was it's surrogate parent. Cowbirds practice nest parasitism where they deposit their eggs in the nest of other species of birds, quite often replacing one or more of the existing eggs. The host parents unsuspectingly raise the young Cowbird until it fledges. In the worst case, the Cowbird will kill it's smaller nest mates so it can get all the parental attention.

Cedar Waxwing and Brown-headed Cowbird (Imm) Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

Nearby I could hear a bird singing a melodic repetitive song. It took me a while to locate it, but once I did I was able to snap off some good shots.

I suspected what it was and again used the phone birding app to confirm it was a Warbling Vireo.

Warbling Vireo Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

Here's another shot that shows the field marks a bit better. To quote the Sibley field guides:
"Vireos are small, relatively stocky birds with stout, hooked bills and short, strong legs." The Warbling Vireo has a white throat and yellow on the sides. I suspect this is a young bird as it does not have a prominent eye-stripe yet.

Warbling Vireo Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

Another bird in the same vicinity caused me some ID problems. I am sure it is a Wren based on the tail pattern, probably an immature House Wren.

House Wren Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

The last bird I photographed is a Song Sparrow, Although common. it is interesting to note how this bird is somewhat different from the same species on the West Coast. There is more contrast between the streaked white chest and less gray overall. This is an adult of the Interior West subspecies, we see the Pacific Northwest subspecies at home.

Song Sparrow Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

Overall, it was an excellent 90 minutes at this beautiful site. I'll be back here next year.

Bow River at Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park

No comments:

Post a Comment